WP-CLI is released every 3-4 months, typically around the beta period of WordPress’s release cycle:
- Current: v1.0.0 (November 29th, 2016)
- Next: v1.1.0 (TBD)
- Breaking changes: v2.0.0 (spring 2018)
Patch versions are released on an as-needed basis, usually to address bugs or regressions. The current version of WP-CLI is the only officially supported version.
Just like WordPress has plugins, the future of WP-CLI is packages of commands. WP-CLI’s current product focus is to:
- Help community packages be considered first-class citizens amongst the commands bundled with WP-CLI (in build quality, documentation, test coverage, and discoverability).
- Encourage package maintenance to be a communal activity, instead of falling upon a single person.
New features are developed as community packages first. Doing so enables:
- Faster feature iteration with less risk.
- More contribution opportunities.
- Reduced complexity and maintenance burden for the core project.